Sunday, July 11, 2010

Knowledge is Power

Well, I have learned a lot today:

* We have stayed in a LOT of Embassy Suites (especially Robert), but this one in Loveland really is the NICEST one we've ever been in.

* Robert is a great driver up a mountain on a narrow, curvy road.

* 75% of our family likes to hike and climb rocks

* Parker is NOT allergic to bee stings

and...

* When Maggie tells the guy at Fun City that she wants the sling shot bungy thing to go "really high", she doesn't mean it.

I knew we were in trouble when I saw the dude lay down flat on the trampoline to send her up. Good Lord, I almost came unglued, but she managed to bounce a few times before she had had enough. It did not go well and she said she never wants to do it "ever, ever again." I almost yelled at the guy until I realized that she told him to do it. However, in hindsight, I should have told him not to send her up regardless of what she said. Oh well. She survived and all is well. Live and learn for sure!!

But for the best part of the day...Rocky Mountain National Park is so awesome. They make it very easy to navigate with free shuttles at Park and Ride lots and there are several family-easy trails that we really had fun on. The first one was 1/2 a mile around a lake. It was beautiful. Then the second one was 1/2 mile to the lake and 1/2 a mile back. What we didn't know was that the first 1/2 was a steady uphill the entire way. Walk a little...rest...walk a little...rest...walk a little...that was how I learned about the 75% thing earlier. But once we got to the top, we had our water and granola bars and then had a very pleasant, and much quicker, I might add, trek down. If you are into hiking, it's a great place to be.

Estes Park is the city at the base of the park and it's a quaint touristy town, but was a nice place to hang for the afternoon. Once we got back to the hotel, exhausted and grumpy, I was able to get on the treadmill while Robert took the girls swimming. It felt good to sweat, but man, was it hard to catch my breath! We head to Steamboat tomorrow and it will be more like home. I can cook, relax a little and do laundry! Yay me! I think I probably have about 6 loads to do. Just like home, right???

One thing is for sure. We are having tons of fun and tons of together time. I'm so thankful that we have this amazing opportunity to take the trip. It's been great.

Nighty night!

2 comments:

Mrs. McGoo said...

Love it.
I cracked up out loud and read your FB status about Maggie's hiking thoughts aloud to others. "you can get me a babysitter". he he. Too much.

Sounds like a BLAST. Love that ya'll are experiencing it. A tad bid jealous too, if I'm honest. ;)

We are Three said...

sounds like a great trip.. still think you should visit me in MN if you are going to the Black Hills...
Kara